Sunday, November 22, 2009

Provident Living

I have just completed an intense four-hour course on provident living. Being provident is defined as, "Having or showing foresight; providing carefully for the future," (dictionary.com). Do you admire how I annotated my source there? Let's discuss some of the areas of your life that could use a little more providence. Yes, I mean you. I'll discuss my own life at a later date, since it's not as amusing to me.

First, let's talk hygiene. You stock up on cream of chicken soup when it's on sale, but what about toothpaste? What would happen if there were a great peppermint shortage and the price of a tube of toothpaste hyper-inflated to $300? I can't abide bad breath, and so I urge you to provide carefully for the future by buying a few extra tubes next time you go to the store.

Dare I discuss jeans? All the YFBs will villify me for this, but know this - if I thought $120 jeans would make my buttockal region look cute, I'd spring for them too, but unless those babies are fashioned out of spring steel and tenterhooks, it just ain't gonna happen. Therefore, I can be self-righteous and say that $120 is just too much. I mean, I could get a really cute Wonderbra for that much...oh wait...

Now sit down a minute while we talk about the phone bill. Do you really need to be able to track your stocks while you're in the bathroom? Give up the internet access already! Actually, the only reason I'm hateful about phones is because we're cutting back on extraneous things like water and Cheetos at my office, but everyone still has their iPhones. Everyone but me that is - me, who never got one. Me, who still uses the old Radio Shack model that barely fits in my purse. It's embarrassing, and it's about time for everyone else to come back down to my level.

And Christmas. That's right, I'm going there. People! I don't need three presents from each of you. Just one will do. I mean it, I'll be fine. I'm cutting back.

4 comments:

The Crider Clan said...

Does YFB stand for Young Fabulous Buns? I can't figure it out? I agree with all your critiques (sp?)of my non-provident ways...and I will try to do better...but for the record, I have never spent more than $30 for a pair of jeans, and usually they are way less than that at GW! Plus, my phone is way sadder than yours...and everyone else's! I do need to go stock up on toothpaste though!

Lecia said...

YFB means Young, Fabulous and Broke, so you were very close on that one. And, you don't have stinky breath, but extra toothpaste on hand can never hurt!

Signe said...

I should probably stock up on toothpaste. Ick-now I've got to go brush my teeth.

Sarah said...

What a great blog! I liked your use of the word "buttockal".